Severe Weather Conditions
Local weather service will issue advisories predicting areas of probable severe thunderstorm activity and the estimated duration of such activity via local radio and television stations.
By definition, a tornado warning is an alert by the National Weather Service confirming a funnel cloud sighting and location. The weather service will announce the approximate time of detection and direction of movement. Wind will be 75 mph or greater. A public warning will come over the radio and TV or there will be five-minute steady blasts of sirens by the Dane County warning system.
ACTIONS TO TAKE:
- Get away from the perimeter of the building and exterior glass.
- Leave your exterior office and close the door.
- Go to the center corridor and protect yourself by putting your head as close to your lap as possible, or kneel protecting your head.
- Stairwells are safe. If crowded, move down to a lower level for shelter. Do not use the elevator!
- Do not go to the first floor lobby or outside the building.
IF YOU ARE TRAPPED IN AN EXTERIOR OFFICE:
- Seek protection under a desk.
- Keep your radio or television set turned to a local station for information.
- If possible, information and directions will be broadcast via the building public address system.
- Remain calm.