The American Exchange Block includes the buildings located at One, Three, Five, Seven and Fifteen North Pinckney Street on Madison's Capitol Square. This assemblage of adjacent properties offers a mix of retail and office spaces with both historic and modern features. Available office space in Three, Seven and Fifteen North Pinckney offers direct Capitol Square frontage and a more intimate office environment than the larger, high-rise buildings, making them perfect for start-ups or small companies that value proximity to all the amenities that downtown Madison has to offer. Interested in a co-working environment? Check out Horizon Co-Working at Seven North Pinckney.
The cornerstone of the American Exchange Block is the American Exchange Bank, built in 1871. Located on the Capitol Square at the corner of North Pinckney and East Washington Avenue. It was designated a landmark by the Madison Landmarks Commission in 1975 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
This Italian Renaissance Revival style structure, a distinguished example of its type, was designed by architect Stephen Vaughn Shipman. Built of Madison sandstone, the three story building displays a massive cornice and rusticated first floor. The building occupies the former site of the American House (1838-1868), where the first territorial legislative session was held on November 26, 1838. Other notable Shipman buildings included a former post office on the Capitol Square, the Dome of the 2nd State Capitol and the first Park Hotel. Remaining Shipman designs include the Doyle and Castle Building and the Willet S. Main Building. In 1994, Urban Land Interests acquired and carefully restored the landmark structure. ULI incorporated a new elevator and ensured ADA accessibility.